Rajasthan Board RBSE Class 8 Social Science Chapter 26 Our Glory
RBSE Class 8 Social Science Our Glory InText Questions and Answers
(Activity—Read and Tell)
What was the name of the father of Chandbardai?
The name of the father of Chandbardai was Rao Vaina.
Which is the birth place of Chandbardai?
Chandbardai was bom in the year 1148 in Lahore.
Which were the other qualities of Chandbardai except poetry?
- Chandbardai was a great scholar of language literature, grammar, verses and astrology.
- He was formally trained to operate arms and weapons and during the war, he always remained with the army and carry out military movements.
- He had intelligence, bravery, kindness and devotion towards friends.
Which is the famous creation of Chandbardai?
‘Prithwiraj Raso’ is the famous contribution of Chandbardai.
Which name is prominent in the field of surgery?
Maharshi Sushruta’s name is prominent in the field of surgery.
Name the book of ancient India, written on the subject—Surgery.
‘Sushruta Sanhita’ is the ancient Indian book in the field of plastic surgery.
‘Sushruta Sanhita’ is written by whom?
‘Sushruta Sanhita’ is written by Maharishi Sushruta.
Sushruta had invented which tools, which are being used till date?
Sushruta invented more than hundred tools and devices for plastic surgery, which are used even today.
Who are the other scientists of India? Get information from your teacher and prepare a list.
The other scientists of India are as given below—
- Dr. Atma Ram
- Chandra Shekhar Venktaraman Raman
- Meghnad Saha
- Vikram Sarabhai
- Shanti Swamp Bhatnagar
- Homi Jahangir Bhabha
- Jagdish Chandra Basu
- A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.
(Read, Know and Point Out)
What was the name of Magh’s father?
The name of the father of Magh was Dattaka and mother was Brahmi.
What ‘Kavya Rachna’ (poetry) is written by Magh?
Magh wrote the poetic book ‘Shishupal Vadha’.
(Activity—Read and Point Out)
Sutradhar Mandan’s contribution is prominent in which field?
Sutradhar Mandaris greatest contribution is in the field of Indian Architecture.
Vastushashtra (Architecture) deals with which subject mainly?
The main subject of Vastushastra is architecture.
Maharishi Parashar authored which Grantha (book)?
Maharshi wrote a book named ‘Krishi Parashar’.
Chakrapani Mishra has written which Grantha (book)?
Chakrapani Mishra wrote four books.
- Vyavharadarsh and
- Rajyabhishek Padyati.
Vrikshayurdeva Grandha is written by whom?
Chakrapani Mishra wrote the book named ‘Vrakshayurveda’.
RBSE Class 8 Social Science Our Glory Text Book Questions and Answers
Write the correct answer of question no. one in the bracket—
1. ‘Vrikshayurdeva’ Grantha was written by—
(a) Sutradhar Mandan
(b) Chakrapani Mishra
(c) Maharishi Sushruta
Match the following :
Author – Title of the Book
1. Chandbardai – 1. Sishupala Vadhain
2. Brahmagupt – 2. Vastu Manjiri
3. Maharishi Sushruta – 3. Krishi Parashar
4. Mahakavi Magh – 4. Vishva Vallabha
5. Sutradhar Mandan – 5. Brahma Sphuta inddhanta
6. Maharishi Parashar – 6. Sushrut Sanhita
7. Chakrapani Mishra – 7. Prithviraj Raso
Author – Title of the Book
1. Chandbardai – 7. Prithiraj Raso
2. Brahmagupt – 5. Brahma Sphuta Sinddhanta
3. Maharishi Sushnita – 6. Sushrut Sanhita
4. Mahakavi Magh – 1. Sishupala Vadha
5. Sutradhar Mandan – 2. Vastu Manjiri
6. Maharishi Parashara – 3. Krishi Parashara
7. Chakrapani Mishra – 4. Vishva Vallabha
3. Fill in the blanks :
1. ………………. is believed to be bom in Bhinmal.
2. India’s knowledge of Maths and Astronomy went to Arab and afterwards to the ……………… .
3. ………………. is known as the first surgeon, who has given a scientific system to the surgery.
4. A bachelor’s degree has been conferred upon ………………. on the basis of his research articles, without appearing in the examination.
5. ………………. became poor, due to his excessive beneficence.
6. ………………. was the ‘Darbari’ pandit of Maharana Pratap.
7. Maharishi ………………. was bom in Pushkar.
1. Brahma Gupt
2. western countries
3. Maharishi Sushruta
4. Srinivasa Ramanujan
5. Great poet Magha
6. Chakrapani Mishra
4. Write the answers of the following questions :
What was the name of a ‘Raj Kavi’ of Prithviraj Chauhan?
Chand Bardai was the Raj Kavi of Prithviraj Chauhan.
Who has started plastic surgery in the field of Medical science?
Maharishi Sushruta had started pastic surgery in the field of medical science.
What was the contribution of Brahma Gupta in the field of Maths and Astronomy?
The contribution of Brahma Gupt in the field of mathematics and astronomy was as given below :
- Brahma Gupt wrote a book named ‘Brahmasphuta Siddhanta’. This book is the official book of Indian astronomy. He also wrote book named ‘Khandakhadyaka’.
- In ‘Khandakhadyaka’, interopolation and theory of sine and cosine in plane Trigonometry and core trigonometry are available.
- Brahmagupta has given easy methods of writing square root and cube root in his books.
- Explanation of concept of zero has also been given in these books.
- Brahma Gupta has given an important contribution in the field of Geometry.
- Translation of these books of Brahma gupta was done in Arabic and Persian languages. The knowledge of Indian mathematics and astronomy was got by Arabs and later by the western countries.
What do you know about the famous mathematician Ramanujan?
Explain in detail about India’s great Mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujam.
- Srinivasa Ramanujan was a great mathematician of India. He was born on 22 December,1887 in Erode in Tamil Nadu. His father’s name was Srinivasa Iyengar. His mother’s name was Komaltammal. Since his childhood Ramanujan was a curious and intelligent. :
- Ramanujan passed the high school examination in 1904 and got scholarship by getting a good position.
- He went to England on 14 April, 1914 on the invitation of Prof. G.H. Hardy of Cambridge University. He did research along with Hardy Professor of Mathematics in London just in one year. Ramanujan and Prof. Hardy jointly published a research paper.
- On the basis of his research papers, Ramanujan received the degree of graduation without appearing in the examinaiton in March, 1916. He died on 26 April, 1920.
- Ramanujan was a great supporter of Indian civilization and culture.
- Ramanujan was a great economical. He used a slate to solve mathematical problem and wrote the final result in his note book.
- While leaving for England, he gave promise to his father that in England also he will live as an Indian and would not do any work which might hurt Indian culture. While living in England, he used to cook his food. In spite of living in misery he went on continued to do the work of study research and writing until the last moment of his life.
Sutradhar Mandan has authored which Granthas?
Sutradhar Mandan wrote the following Granthas—
- Devata Murti Prakasan,
- Prasada Mandanam,
- Vastu Shastram,
- Vastu Mandanam,
- Vastu Saar,
- Vastu Manjari.
What is the contribution of Maharishi Parashar in the field of agriculture?
The contribution of Maharishi Parashar in the field of agriculture is given below :
- Maharishi Parashar was bom in Pushkar (Ajmer). He wrote a book named ‘Krishi Parashar’. This book is very famous in the field of agriculture.
- Maharishi has given an important place to agriculture. He has written, “foodgrains are produced from crops, and crops are not produces without a farming. One should leave all and engage in farming.”
- In many book, Maharishi Parashar is remembered as the reforms of agriculture science.
- Maharishi Parashar has made forecast regarding his book ‘Krishi Parashar’ and the farmers use it even today.
- Krishi Parashar is very useful for the farmer. This book works as an agricultural calendar.
Following are the subjects of this book—
- When should the farming be done?
- Which crop should be grown and at what time?
- What type of behaviour should be done with the animals who are related to agricultural works?
- How to maintain cow-shed?
- What is the process for climatic dignosis?
RBSE Class 8 Social Science Our Glory Important Questions and Answers
(I) Objective Questions
Chand Bardai was bom in the year :
The writer of ‘Brahmasphuta Siddhanta’ was :
The writer of ‘Prithviraj Raso’ was :
(b) Chand Bardai
(b) Chand Bardai
Who was the famous surgeon of plastic surgery of ancient India?
(d) Maharishi Sushruta
(d) Maharishi Sushruta
Srinivasa Ramanujan was bom in :
(c) Tamil Nadu
(c) Tamil Nadu
(II) Fill in the blanks :
1. In …………………….. Brahmagupta wrote a book named ‘Brahmasphuta Siddhanta’.
2. Brahmasphuta Siddhanta is the official book of …………………….. .
3. Magha was bom in ……………………. .
4. Magha wrote the book named ……………………. .
5. Chakrapani Mishra was the court scholar of …………………….. .
2. Indian astronomy,
3. Srimala town (Bhinmal),
5. Maharana Pratap.
(III) Find out True/False statements in the following questions :
1. Chand Bardai was bom in Ajmer. (✗)
2. Chand Bardai had also got formal training of weapns. (✓)
3. ‘Khandakhadyaka’ was written by Magh. (✗)
4. Maharishi Sushruta was the first plastic surgeon of the world. (✓)
5. Kumbhagarh has been built according to the guideline of Sushruta. (✗)
(IV) Matching Type Questions :
Match the contents of Column ‘A’ with Column ‘B’ :
Column ‘A’ Column ‘B’
1. Birth place of Brahma Gupta – 1. Lahore
2. Birth place of Chand Bardai – 2. Bhinmal
3. Khandakhadyaka – 3. Sushruta
4. Sushruta Samhita was composed by – 4. Brahmagupta
5. Magh composed – 5. Vastu Manjan
6. Sutradhar Mandan composed – 6. Shishupala VaLIha
Column ‘A’ – Column ‘B’
1. Birth place of Brahma Gupta – 2. Bhinniais
2. Birth place of Chand Bardai – 1. Lahore
3. Khandakhadyaka – 4. Brahmagupta
4. Sushruta Samhita was composed by – 3. Sushruta
5. Magh composed – 6. Shishupala Vadha
6. Sutradhar Mandan composed – 5. Vastu Manjari
(V) Very Short Answer Type Questions :
When and where was Chand Bardai bom?
Chand Bardai was bom in 1148 in Lahore.
Question 2. Who was Chand Bardai?
Chand Bardai was the court poet, adviser and friend of the ruler of Delhi Prithviraj Chauhan.
Which book was composed by Chand Bardai?
Chand Bardai composed the book named ‘Prithviraj Raso’.
Which book is regarded as the first epic poem in Hindi?
‘Prithviraj Raso’ is regarded as the first epic poem in Hindi.
Who was Brahmagupta?
Brahmagupta was a great astronomer of Gupta Age.
Which books were written by Brahma Gupta?
Brahmagupta wrote books named ‘Brahmasphuta Siddhanta’ and ‘Khandakha-dyaka’.
Who was the first plastic surgeon of the world?
Maharishi Sushruta was the first plastic surgeon of the world.
Which book was composed by Sushruta?
Sushruta composed the book named Sushruta Samhita.
Whose descendent was Maharishi Sushruta?
Maharishi Sushruta was the descendent of Vishwamitra.
Who had described plastic surgery thousands of years ago?
Maharishi Sushruta had described plastic surgery in his book ‘Sushruta Samhita’ thousands of years ago.
Where was Magha bom?
Magha was born in Srimala town in Bhinmal, Rajasthan.
To whom was Magha married?
Magha was married to Malhan Devi.
Which book was composed by Magha?
Magha composed the book named Shishupala Vadha.
Why did Magha composed Shishupala vadha?
Magha composed Shishupala vadha to worship Lord Krishna.
Which subjects were included in the ‘Shishupala vadha’ of Magha?
Literature, grammar, Ayurveda, ancient Hindu mythological scriptures, justice, rural life, life of animals and birds were included in the Shishupala vadha of Magha.
Why did Magha become poor in the last days of his life?
Magha became poor in the last days of his life due to his generosity.
Who was Sutradhar Mandan?
Sutradhar Mandan was a great architect. He was the famous architect of the court of Maharana Kumbha.
What was the name of father of Mandan?
The name of Mandan’s father was Kshetrark (Khete).
Write the names of two books composed by Mandan.
- Vastu Manjari
- Prasada Mandanam.
Where was Maharishi Parashar bom?
Maharishi Parashar was bom in Pushkar.
Who was the writer of ‘Krishi Parashar’?
Maharishi Parashar was the writer of ‘Krishi Parashar’.
Who was Chakrapani Mishra?
Chakrapani Mishra was the court scholar of Maharana Pratap.
Write the names of two books written by Chakrapani Mishra?
- Vishva Vallabh
By whom was Chakrapani Mishra influenced greatly?
Chakrapani Mishra was greatly influenced by Varahamihir.
What do you mean by ‘Harva’ mentioned by Chakrapani Mishra?
Harva gives information about underground water. It tells about the direction and depth of the availability of water on the basis of different signals.
What is the contribution of Sharangdhar?
Sharangdhar created music manual which is called Sharangdhar manual.
Write the name of the court poet of ‘Prithviraj Chauhan’ and his famous composition.
The name of the court poet of Prithviraj Chauhan is—Chandbardai. The name of his famous creation is Prithviraj Raso.
Suggest two measures which you would adopt to maintain your cowshed.
These are the two measures to maintain cowshed—
- To keep watch over cleanliness of the entire cow family.
- To use cowdung as manure as soon as possible.
(VI) Short Answer Type Questions :
How will you know the weather forecast? Write what techniques will you use for this purpose?
Weather forecast can be made on the basis of great books related to it. Mahrishi Parashar wrote about the weather forecast techniques in his book ‘Krishi Parashar’ and we will use them for this purpose :
- Behaviour of birds and animals.
- Wind direction (Wind examinations) etc.
In addition to it, we shall use modem apparatus and techniques such as barometer, thermometer, wind direction etc.
Write a short note on Chand Bardai.
Chand bardai was bom in 1148 in Lahore. His father’s name was Rao Vana. Chand bardai was a talented person since his childhood. He was a great scholar and had a good knowledge of language, literature, grammar, verses, puranas and astrology. He was the court poet, advisor and friend of the king of State Prithviraj Chauhan. Chand bardai was a great warrior. He had got formal training of operating arms and weapons. He had compassion and loyalty towards friendship. During the war, he always remained with the army and carry’ out military movements. He wrote a famous book named ‘Prithviraj Raso’. Prithviraj Raso is the first epic in Hindi. This book gives us a knowledge of Chand bardai’s intelligence, bravery and generocity.
Describe the contribution of Maharishi Sushruta in the field of plastic surgery.
Contribution of Maharishi Sushruta in the field of Plastic Surgery—
- Maharishi Sushruta was the first plastic surgeon of the world. Prominent name in the field of plastic surgery is of Maharishi Sushruta. He was a skilled and famous plastic surgeon.
- Sushruta was the first plastic surgeon who organised surgery systematically. He not only improved surgery, but also through his surgery benefitted to many people.
- Sushruta wrote a famous book named ‘Sushruta Samhita’. Sushruta Samhita is considered as an official book in the field of plastic surgery even today.
- Although the Americans declare themselves as the inventors of plastic surgery, but it is not true. Sushruta had already described about plastic surgery in his book ‘Sushruta Samhita’ hundreds of years ago. The Europeans followed this system later on.
- Today, plastic surgery is popular in the world. This is a big contribution of India to the world.
- Sushruta invented more than hundred instruments and tools for plastic surgery. Most of these tools and instuments are used even today.
Write a short note on Magh.
Great Poet Magh—
- Magh was a great Sanskrit poet of India. He was bom in Srimala (Bhinmal, Rajasthan) in the second half of 7th century and early 8th century.
- Magh was married to Malahan Devi.
- Magh composed a book named Shishupala vadha. It is said that Magh had composed this book to Worship Lord Krishna.
- Magh had many virtues. He was very generous. Due to his excessive charities, he had became poor. His wife was also a benefactor lady.
- Magh had included literature, grammar, ethics, Ayurveda, justice, astrology, natural beauty, rural life, life of animals and birds, gracefulness of verses and political science in his book ‘Shishupala Vadha’.
Describe the contribution of Chakrapani Mishra in enhancing glory of Indian history.
Contribution of Chakrapani Mishra
- Chakrapani Mishra was the court scholar of Maharana Pratap, ruler of Mewar.
- He was a great scholar. He wrote four books.
These books were—
- Rajya- bhishek Paddyali.
- Mishra was greatly influenced by Varahamihira.
- Chakrapani Mishra has described about Harwa. Harwa tells about the direction and depth of the water availability, depending upon many signals. There is a great demand of Harwa in the villages even today.
- Chakrapani Mishra has laid emphasis on the development of water resources. He had a great knowledge of many kinds of trees and their medicinal virtues.
- He was a good botanist and had a deep knowledge of construction of reservoirs and water resources in architectural science.
- Chakrapani Mishra’s home is prominent among the scholars of the architectural field.
Which book was written by Maharshi Parashar? What were the main topics of his book?
Maharishi Parashar was bom at Pushkar (Ajmer). He wrote a book titled ‘Krishi Parashar’. Main topics of Krishi Parashar. ‘Krishi Parashar’ book functions for krishi panchang.
Its main subjects (topics) are as follows :
- When should Krishi work be started?
- In which time which crop should be grown?
- What kind of behaviour should be done to the animals that are used in agriculture.
- How Goshala should be upkept.
- How forecast of weather can be made.
Write a short note on Sharangdhar.
- Sharangdhar Hammir was the ruler of Ranthambhore. He was the grandson of Gum Raghav and the son of Damodar Sharangdhar wrote the books named ‘Hammir Raso’ and ‘Sharangdhar Samhita’.
- Sharangdhar was a great patron of music. He created music manual which is called as ‘Sharangdhar manual’. In this, a short summary of the extinct book Gandharva Shastra’ is protected which is the main basis of knowing of medieval Indian music art.
- In this manual, a short form of ‘Vrakshayurved’ book is also found. On the basis of this, many rulers and citizen developed the gardens and gave their contribution in the protection of the environment.
- Yoga is also included in Sharangdhar’s mannual. The scientific form of ‘Ashtang Yoga’ has been concluded in this book to a healthy life.
- Sharangdhar has contributed to present the use of knowledge in a scientific way. Due to this, many foreign scholars have praised Sharangdhar for his contribution.
(VII) Essay Type Questions
Describe the contribution of Sutradhar Mandan.
The Contribution of Sutradhar Mandan
- Sutradhar Mandan was a great architect of medieval India. He has contributed immensely in keeping the tradition of Indian architectural style alive through his book.
- Mandan w as bom at that time when the temples, sculptures and the art of painting were feeing crisis. At this time, Mandan formed some principles relating architecture and included them in his books. The books helped in the construction of palaces, houses, residences, water-reservoires, temples, tanks and lakes.
- Mandan’s contribution is considered to be the greatest in the field of Indian architecture. Kumbhalgarh fort was constructed under the guidance of Mandan.
- Sutradhar Mandan had a deep knowledge of theoretical and practical aspects of Indian architecture. His views regarding art, mathematics and astrology in architecture are still considered valuable since last 550 years.
- Mandan was a famous vastushilpi of Maharana Kumbha’s court.
He wrote many books. These books are—
- ‘Devata Murti Prakaranam’,
- Prasada Mandanam,
- Vastu Mandanam,
- Vastu Saar,
- Vastu Manjari.
According to ‘Krishi Parashar Book’, how can we increase crop production in present time? Write process according to your imagination.
‘Krishi Parashar’ was written by Maharishi. It is an old important book written on agriculture. It deals with agriculture in detail. In order to increase production of crop, we shall have to take help of this book and follow w hat is written in it. It works as a ‘Panchang’ in the field of agriculture. It also describes when a particular crop is sown and when work related to agriculture should be started. It also deals with our behaviour with the animals used for agriculture purpose. This book also tells us direction of wind, scarcity or high rainfalls behaviour of animal, weather forecast etc.
By following the above things, we can increase production of ctop.