Rajasthan Board RBSE Class 8 Social Science Chapter 17 Political Parties, Delimitation of Electoral Constituencies and SVEEP
RBSE Class 8 Social Science Political Parties, Delimitation of Electoral Constituencies and SVEEP InText Questions and Answers
With the help of your teacher, write the names of recognized national political parties.
Currently recognized national political parties are as follows :
- Indian National Congress
- Bharatiya Janata Party
- Bahujan Samaj Party
- Communist Party of India (Marxist)
- Nationalist Congress Party
- All India Trinamool Congress
RBSE Class 8 Social Science Political Parties, Delimitation of Electoral Constituencies and SVEEP Text Book Questions and Answers
Fill in the blanks :
1. In coalition government the role of ……………………. political parties becomes important.
2. There are currently ……………………. national political parties in India.
3. ……………………. members of the legislative council retire every second year.
4. SVEEP in Rajasthan was started in …………………….
5. Voting with awareness is called …………………….
6. Systematic voters’ education and electoral participation is briefly called …………………….
2. 6 (six)
3. One- third
4. December 2013
5. informed voting
Describe the delimitations of consti-tuencies.
Constituency limitations—The central government can constitute a limitation commission in accordance with the Delimitation Act 2002, given in Article 82 of the constitution. This limitation commission determines the boundaries of Assembly and Lok Sabha constituencies in the state, which is done in proportion to the population of the state. Presently the constituencies have been delimitated on the basis of census data of 2001. This limitation system will be held till the first census which is to be done after 2026.
Explain the electoral process of the Legislative Council.
Members of Legislative Council are elected indirectly. Some members are nominated by the governor. This process is as follows :
Of the total members of the Legislative Council—
- 1/3 (one-third) members are elected from local bodies.
- 1/12 members are elected by the graduates living in the state for 3 years.
- 1/12 members are elected by teachers teaching for more than 3 years but they should be teaching at secondary/higher school/college.
- 1/3 members are elected by the members of Assembly.
- 1/6 members are nominated by the Governor who have knowledge and experience in the field of art, literature, cooperative knowledge and social service.
Thus, 5/6 members of the Legislative Council are indirectly elected and 1/6 members are nominated by the Governor. Each member is elected for 6 years.
What are the basis on which SVEEP program is prepared?
SVEEP program is prepared on the basis of social, economic, cultural outline and on the basis of population and participation of voters in the last election.
On which strategy does SVEEP work?
‘SVEEP’ works on three-dimensional work policy.
- Information—To give information about ‘why’, ‘when’, ‘where’ and ‘how’ regarding registration and voting process.
- Inspiration—To inspire people to vote and answer the questions (curiosity) related to voting.
- Facility—To provide facilities and services and make registration and voting easier and convenient.
Tell the features of SVEEP-3.
SVEEP-3 program is going on since 2015. Its main features are as follows :
- In SVEEP-3, the election system has been linked with the curriculum and has been included in the co-curriculum and additional curriculum.
- This programme focuses on women, youth, urban voters and apart from the mainstream service staff (who vote* through postal ballots), non-resident Indian, weak people and prospective voters.
- This programme emphasizes on the concepts of education and communication instruments.
- Comprehensive conversation with citizen through social media, online competition and voter festivals are the important part of SVEEP-3.
- Increasing partnerships, establishing greater coordination with partners, micro surveys are other main aspects of this programme.
- SVEEP-3 has been rated as a flagship scheme.
RBSE Class 8 Social Science Political Parties, Delimitation of Electoral Constituencies and SVEEP Important Questions and Answers
Multiple Choice Questions :
Which country has the highest number of political parties in the world?
The minimum number of members in the Legislative Council is—
From where did the SVEEP programme start?
Election Commission has given the status of flagship scheme to :
Fill in the blanks :
1. Political parties have an important role in the ……………. process, (dictatorship/democratic)
2. Except some officers, there is the ……………. of strong and effective opposition in India. (lack/effect)
3. Legislative Council is a ……………. House. (Permanent/Temporary)
4. In ……………. emphasis on update of voter list. (SVEEP-1/S VEEP-3)
Match Column ‘A’ with Column ‘B’
Column ‘A’ – Column ‘B’
1. Ethical voting – (a) Voting with awareness
2. Informed voting – (b) Fair and polite polling
Short Answer Type Questions :
How do political parties participate in power?
Political parties participate in power by giving political power through elections.
Who registers political parties in India?
Election Commission of India.
How are representatives of the Assembly elected.
Direct voting by adult franchise.
How many members of the Legislative Council are nominated by the Governor?
1/6 members of the Legislative Council are nominated by the Governor.
Which programme was started by the Election Commission for the awareness of voters?
When was the SVEEP programme started in Rajasthan,.
SVEEP programme in Rajasthan was started in December 2013 Assembly election.
What is Ethical voting?
Fair and polite polling is called ethical voting.
Short Answer Type Questions :
What do you mean by a political party?
Political Party—Organised groups of people with similar views who, as per the provisions of the constitution, try to gain political powers to pursue national progress and whose ultimate purpose is to form the government.
Why do most political parties in India promote regional interests?
The rise of most political parties in India is based on language, caste, culture and regional interests. Because of this, these parties encourages regional interests rather than public interest.
What is the numbers of members of the Legislative Council? For how many years they have been chosen?
The number of members in Legislative Council is one-third of the assembly members and the minimum number is 40. Each member is elected for 6 years. One- third of its members retire every second years.
On which criterion does the success of democracy depend?
The success of democracy depends on the participation of independent, fair, policy makes and desire of each citizen participation.
What is SVEEP?
Full form of SVEEP is Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation. The multi-dimensional programme being run by the Election Department to train citizens, electors and voters about election process and to enhance their awareness and engagement is called SVEEP.
What do you know about SVEEP-1 (2009-2013)?
SVEEP-1 (2009-2013)—Registration of citizens as voters and to increase their participation in polling, SVEEP-1 programme was launched. During this, emphasis was given on updating the electoral list.
Which programmes were emphasized in SVEEP-2?
Events under SVEEP-2—
A target based schematic strategy was included in SVEEP-2, In this, 10% polling booths with minimum voting was identified and center- wise analysis of polling, alongwith center- wise implementation, evaluation and monitoring at regular intervals was done. In this, subject test development for newly introduced and illiterate groups was also included. During this programme, special emphasis was made to provide facilities at polling booths. As a result, there was an historic increase in the percentage of vote in the Lok Sabha elections 2014.
Tell the main purpose, of the SVEEP programme.
The main aims of the SVEEP programme are as follows :
- Ethical voting—In this, emphasis is on fair and ethical polling.
- Informed voting—It emphasizes on voting with awareness.
Essay Type Questions :
Which are political parties? List the features of political parties in India.
Political Parties—Organized group of people with similar views who, as per the provisions of the constitution, try to gain political power and whose ultimate purpose is to form the government, are called political parties.
Features of Political Parties in India—
- Due to wide geographical part of the country, social variations, universal adult franchise and different types of ideologies, many types of political parties have emerged here.
- The highest numbers of political parties in the world are in India.
- The rise of most political parties in India is on the basis of language, caste, culture and regional interests. Because of this, these parties encourages regional interests rather than public interest.
- The role of regional parties becomes crucial in coalition governments.
- Due to longing to power, the politicians change their party and join the other party or form a new party.
- Apart from some officers, there has been a lack of strong and effective opposition in India, since independence.
- Political parties in India are divided into three categories—
- National Party
- Regional Party
- Registered non- recognized party.
Write a brief note on the Election Commission of India and the political party.
Election Commission of India and the Political Party—The Election Commission of India registers political parties for the election on the basis of the criteria and declares them the national party, regional party or registered non-recognized party on the basis of votes received in the election.
The parties recognized by the commission get access to election symbol allocation, time of political broadcasting on television or radio and opportunity to get election information. All other registered parties should be declared unrecognized registered parties other than national and state level parties.
Why has the Election Commission has promoted the use of I.T.C. (Information and Communication Technology) and social media? Which works have been done for it?
Election Commission promotes the use of I.T.C. (Information and Communication Technology) and social media for voter education and their facilities.
The following works have been done for this—
- National voter service portal for authenti-cation, refinement, registration facility, website of interactive communication with voters and SVEEP portal.
- Convenience to add name to electoral list—Website, SMS, Helpline .to find polling booths on internet.
- Online competition on elections and democracy topics.
- Interaction and information via social media and networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Youtube channels dedicated to elections and polling.