RBSE Class 11 Geography Notes Chapter 20 Ocean Resources

Go through these RBSE Class 11 Geography Notes Chapter 20 Ocean Resources contain important concepts so that students can score better marks in the exam.

Rajasthan Board RBSE Class 11 Geography Notes Chapter 20 Ocean Resources

→ The expansion of ocean is on almost 71% part of the total area of the earth’s surface, and the expansion of land is on the rest 29% part.

→ The oceans found in the world are classified into three primary oceans and one secondary ocean. In this the Pacific, the Atlantic and the Indian Oceans are the primary oceans, while the Arctic Ocean is the secondary ocean.

→ The Pacific Ocean is the largest and the deepest of all the oceans in the world.

→ Many types of resources and energy are received from the oceans.

Importance of Oceans

  • Many types of resources are received from the oceans and the climate is also affected by them.
  • Sea minerals, food, energy and oceanic transportation are the direct benefits of the Oceans.
  • Entertainment, sight-seeing, water sports, swimming, sailing, etc. can be done in the oceans.

Utility of Oceans

  • There is great utility of oceans as a source of food supply, fishery production, minerals, in the form of energy source, for drinking water, health, entertainment, transportation, etc.
  • Mineral oil, phosphate, manganese, salt and other minerals are obtained from the oceans.
  • About 10 % part of the total food materials of the world are obtained from the oceans.
  • At present, the fishery resource has become a major source of livelihood in the world.
  • Many types of algae, plants, planktons, molluscs and various types of sea creatures are found in the oceans.
  • Tidal energy, oceanic thermal energy and geothermal energy are obtained from the oceans.
  • The oceanic water is being used by converting it into drinking water by the process of desalination.
  • Oceans provide the simplest and most economic transportation facilities. Thus, they are called nature-made highways.
  • Many international water ways have been developed for transportation in the world.
  • The main international water way of the world is Suez waterway which connects London to Tokyo.
  • Oceans have a lot of strategic importance. They have an important role in the economic activities and market competition.
  • The Indian Ocean has currently become an important centre due to naval activities.

RBSE Class 11 Geography Notes Chapter 20 Ocean Resources

Ocean Resources Notes Important Terms

→ Ocean Resources: Various types of biological and inorganic substances found in oceans which are capable of meeting human needs.

→ Population: Number of people residing in a region in a certain time period.

→ Deposit: The process of accumulation relatively small matter particles, rock fragments or sediments at a place that are brought from some other place.

→ Food Resource: Such substances that are capable of supplying food.

→ Energy Resource: Such resources from which heat or energy is obtained.

→ Algae: Algae is a type of plant with no stems or leaves that grows in water or on damp surfaces. Extremely minute algae contain one cell, while large algae contain many cells.

→ Coral: A the calcareous remains of small sea creature which agglomerate mainly in tropical shallow seawater in groups. Coral formation depends on the lime materials.

→ Insolation: Radioactive energy received by the earth or other planets from the sun is called Insolation.

→ Tidal Energy: Energy produced by the waves occurring in marine regions.

→ Geothermal Energy: The energy which is generated by the temperature of the earth, which also gets stored inside the earth is known as the geothermal energy. A little of it comes out itself from the hot springs and melting of the rocks.

→ Tide: The water level of sea does not remain the same. It rises up and falls down two times in a day on regular basis. Rising up of the seawater level is called the tide and its falling down is called the ebb.

→ Volcano: A mountain or hill, typically conical, having a crater or vent through which hot and fluid lava, rock fragments, hot vapour, gas, ashes, water, etc. erupt from the earth’s crust.

→ Transport Zone: A functional area of a city whose mainland is used for traffic.

→ Trade: An economic activity by which goods and services are exchanged.

→ Industry: Any work done for economic production, under which primarily the manufacturing industry and the secondary industry are included.

Leave a Comment